Skip to main content

Book Review: Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

Hunting Lila (Lila, #1)Title: Hunting Lila
Author: Sarah Alderson
Series: Lila, #1
Pages: 318
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's
Date of Publication: 5th August 2011
Source: Gifted
Synopsis from Goodreads:
17-year-old Lila has two secrets she’s prepared to take to the grave. The first is that she can move things just by looking at them. The second is that she’s been in love with her brother’s best friend, Alex, since forever.

After a mugging exposes her unique ability, Lila decides to run to the only people she can trust—her brother and Alex. They live in Southern California where they work for a secret organisation called The Unit, and Lila discovers that the two of them are hunting down the men who murdered her mother five years before. And that they’ve found them.

In a world where nothing and no one is quite as they seem, Lila quickly realises that she is not alone—there are others out there just like her—people with special powers—and her mother’s killer is one of them…

My Thoughts:
Ever since I got this a year ago, I've picked it up and read the first 10 or so pages, and then picked up something else and read that instead. I don't know why, but before I actually read it, I read the first chapter or so about four times. It's not that I thought it was bad- I most definitely didn't- but I just always had something else that I wanted to read more. And now, having read it, I wonder why I ever wanted to read something else more than I wanted to read this. It was, quite simply, incredible.

I really loved the characters in this book. Lila was awesome - she was normal, chatty, and while (very!) lovestruck she made me laugh, so I didn't mind. Alex was, well... I love him! Despite his romance with Lila seeming to me as rather unrealistic, seeing as he was her big brother's best friend, and there was a five year age gap, and they hadn't seen each other in years... But still, I could look over that because they were adorable together and I loved him and I wanted them to get together so badly... GAH it was just so cute! And I've gone all mushy. *composes self*

Having never really been that interested in thrillers, this was different to everything I've read before. The plot never stopped moving, and it definitely kept me on my toes throughout the whole book. It did get confusing at times though- I had to stop and just think everything I'd read a couple of times, just so I could be sure what was going on, and who was good and who was bad. There was nothing majorly confusing though, I just sometimes wasn't paying as much attention to the book as I probably should have been... (My four year old cousin kept asking to play with me, but I didn't want to leave the book!)

I loved the whole concept of the book. I loved that there were certain people out there who had powers, and I really liked that they all had different ones. There were the obvious powers, like telekinesis and telepathy, but then there were others that I wouldn't have thought of at first like aura readers who can detect lies, sifters who could change memories, and then people who could, almost in spirit, leave their bodies and watch over people. It was interesting to find out about new characters and discover their abilities, and learn about how they were running from the Unit, and trying to work out why. There were twists and turns and people turning out to be good and not bad, or bad and not good, and everything just flowed together perfectly.

Ending on a huge cliffhanger (but don't worry, the second book's already out!), this book is kind of evil. It's fast-paced and exciting, and then it leaves you hanging, needing the next book. I was an idiot, and took this on holiday with me but left my copy of Losing Lila at home, so I had to wait to read it... I don't recommend that- definitely pick this up with the sequel close by! I'd recommend to readers looking for something exciting and interesting, but quick and easy to read. Sarah Alderson is a fantastic author and I can't wait to read everything else she writes!

Comments

  1. I have this book on my TBR pile, but like you I feel like there are other books I want to read more. But I think I have to put it higher on my TBR list! Your review made me even more enthusiastic about reading it! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book too!!! Lila's so nice and Alex... Well I just love him too! You're right, they're so cute together <3 I go mushy just thinking about it as well!

    Fab review :)
    Catherine x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean, Bella, I started it and put it down so many times, and I have no idea why! It was AWESOME. I thought the concept was really werll-developed and I am super excited to get Losing Lila :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this book and I'm so glad you did hun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! :D I love comments, so comment away! :D

*I am no longer accepting blog awards :( I do not have time to go through all the things that come with it, and though I'm honoured you thought of me, I'm sure you can find someone who will love it, and be able to carry out the rules :)

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: A Sky Painted Gold by Laura Wood

Hello all! Hope you're all enjoying the summer! I'm currently on holiday in a huge castle in the South of France and enjoying relaxing, playing games, and of course reading a lot!  Today's post is a review of a dreamy summer romance that's perfect for your holiday TBRs! Title:  A Sky Painted Gold Author:  Laura Wood Series:   n/a Pages:   356 Publisher:  Scholastic Date of Publication:  5th July, 2018 Source:  Publisher for review* Synopsis from Goodreads: Growing up in her sleepy Cornish village dreaming of being a writer, sixteen-year-old Lou has always wondered about the grand Cardew house which has stood empty for years. And when the owners arrive for the summer - a handsome, dashing brother and sister - Lou is quite swept off her feet and into a world of moonlit cocktail parties and glamour beyond her wildest dreams. But, as she grows closer to the Cardews, is she abandoning her own ambitions... And is there something darker lurking at the

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Title: Where She Went Author: Gayle Forman Series: If I Stay #2 Pages: 260 Publisher: Random House Date of UK Publication: April 28th 2011 Source: Borrowed from friend Synopsis from Goodreads: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future and each other. Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance. My Thoughts: Where She Went continues the story from If I

REVIEW: Floored by Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood

Good morning! Hope you're having a good week! Today I have a review for one of the biggest titles at YALC this year. Title:  Floored Author:  Sara Barnard, Holly Bourne, Tanya Byrne, Non Pratt, Melinda Salisbury, Lisa Williamson, and Eleanor Wood Series:  n/a Pages:   320 Publisher:  Macmillan Date of Publication:  12th July, 2018 Synopsis from Goodreads: When they got in the lift, they were strangers (though didn't that guy used to be on TV?): Sasha, who is desperately trying to deliver a parcel; Hugo, who knows he's the best-looking guy in the lift and is eyeing up Velvet, who knows what that look means when you hear her name and it doesn't match the way she looks, or the way she talks; Dawson, who was on TV, but isn't as good-looking as he was a few years ago and is desperately hoping no one recognizes him; Kaitlyn, who's losing her sight but won't admit it, and who used to have a poster of Dawson on her bedroom wall, and Joe, who shoul